Remedies to Cure Acidity
People often complain about tightness in the chest or burning sensation in the throat after taking meal. It is known as Acidity and this happens to every one of us. It is characterized by flowing of the gastric juices in the upward direction from the stomach to esophagus or food pipe. Though it seems a normal health condition which can be cured with home remedies or medications like antacids but if it is happening on a regular basis then it could be warning sign of some underlying diseases like gastro esophageal reflux disorder (GERD) . It is characterized by frequent heartburn.
When the gastric juices come from the stomach to the throat in the upward direction they also contain acid that is secreted by the stomach for digestion of the food. If Acidity occurs frequently, then the acid may damage the inner lining of the stomach and food pipe causing ulcers of these organs. How to relieve Acidity is the main concern nowadays. Acidity is treatable and one should know the causes and types of Acidity to get the appropriate treatment.
Types of Acidity
It sounds funny but yes, Acidity also has different types depending on the severity of the disease. The types of Acidity are as follows-
- Summer Acidity – It is the time to enjoy picnics with friends and picnic always comes with spicy and fried food. The heat from outer environment and the fact is that people consumed come together and results in heartburn/ Acidity. How to relieve Acidity is the main concern of the people. You can get rid of summer heartburn if you take lighter, easy to digest food and avoid going in sunlight as much as possible. You should avoid having acidic food.
- Pregnancy Acidity – It occurs due to pressure on the stomach from the third trimester of pregnancy. It goes away once the baby arrives.
- Night time heartburn – It is the most worst and painful type of heartburn that occurs at night and destroys sleep.
- Gastro esophageal reflux disorder – It is another form of Acidity but it is more serious and painful one. GERD is not just a type of heartburn/ Acidity but it is a cause of various underlying diseases.
- Chronic Acidity – It refer as the Acidity that occurs frequently, say for 2 to 3 times in a week. It needs medical attention as it may lead to ulcer formation in stomach or esophagus.
Causes of Acidity
There are several causes of Acidity that differs from person to person. These cause are listed below
- Eating heavy meal that is not easy to digest is one of the major and common causes of Acidity.
- Eating excess of spicy food.
- Drinking excess of beverages like beer, cola and wine
- Some vegetables like onions, garlic and leeks.
- Dairy products like yogurt and milk.
- Meat and chicken along with fishes like tuna
- Excess intake of beverages like coffee and tea also lead to heartburn.
- Apart from this lifestyle and lack of regular exercise.
Remedies to cure Acidity
Acidity is easily curable but if it is occurring on a regular basis then it should be because of something wrong going on in the digestive system. Sure there are many over-the-counter medications and prescription drugs that can bring you relief from your Acidity, but how safe are they? And because they are all man-made chemicals and cures, they all have some adverse side effects. Good news is there are simple home remedies to cure Acidity.
- Chew 5-10 leaves of tulsi early morning.
- Chew few leaves of pudina after meals.
- Have one ripe/over ripe banana (since its high in potassium, it helps to balance PH of stomach)
- Drink cold milk with tsp. of Ghee
- Chew saunf or drink saunf water (use 1 tbsp. )
- Chew jeera or drink jeera water (boil 1 tbsp. jeera)
- Jaggery post meals
- Cinnamon tea (boil tsp of cinnamon powder or one stick in glass of water for 15 mins)
- Buttermilk with ginger powder
- Coconut water
- Crush two pods of cardamom (with or without the skin), boil the powder in water and drink the cooled juice for instant relief.
- Ginger tea (boil 1 inch ginger chopped in 200ml of water)
- Have one teaspoon of amla powder twice a day.
- Methi powder (take 1 tsp. of methi powder with glass of after)
- 1 tsp. of baking soda in glass of water
- 3 tbsp. of aloe vera juice half an hour before meals
- Sugar free chewing gum post meals
- 1 tbsp. of Apple cider vinegar in cup of water
Lifestyle changes to cure heart burn
- Do lay down just after heavy meals. Keep atleast 1-3 hour gap.
- Don’t eat in hurry. Chew your food properly
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid smoking
- Don’t wear tight fitting clothes
- Avoid too spicy and oily food
- Avoid long gaps between meals
- Avoid red meat/ sausages
- Skip aerated drink/ caffeine
- Avoid pickle, chutney, processed foods
The following are excellent and tested home remedies for Quick Acidity relief:
- Home remedy No. 1 is organic apple cider vinegar. Organic apple cider vinegar is an often overlooked but very effective solution to your heartburn or acid indigestion problems. The next time you start getting heartburn symptoms, drink a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, followed immediately by a glass of water. If you can’t find organic, regular apple cider vinegar will also work. Drinking organic or regular apple cider vinegar will serve a dual purpose in relieving your heartburn. Because vinegar is a base, it will help neutralize your stomach acid. It will also prevent acid from your stomach going back up your esophagus.
- Chamomile tea. Simply put about 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile leaves into 1 1/2 cups of boiling water. Let it seep for about 10 minutes, then strain and drink. The relaxing properties of chamomile will help to reduce your stress. All too often, our daily stresses and anxieties engender our heartburn.
- Lastly, let’s examine the combination of peppermint, clove oil, and oil of mustard. The proper combination of these 3 ingredients is an outstanding remedy for your heartburn. For centuries people have combined these 3 ingredients for not only heartburn relief, but also to cure stomach ailments.
- Peppermint is used to quiet an upset stomach. It will also aid your digestive system. It also neutralizes excess stomach acid.
Due to its natural anesthetic properties, clove oil will ease the pain caused by damaged tissue. Mustard oil has the ability to relieve any pain caused by your stomach acid. It will also help to reduce any swelling that might exist in your esophagus.
The combination of these 3 herbs will work to abate the pain of heartburn, reduce your excess stomach acid, and help to relax your stomach so that you won’t get Acidity. With continued use, they might even cure your heartburn. This is something that medications will never do!