What is PCOD?
PCOD / PCOS is a condition that affects women. It is caused by an imbalance of a woman’s sex hormones which may lead to:
- Menstrual cycle changes
- Skin problems such as acne
- Increased hair growth on the face and body
- Cysts in the ovaries and
- Trouble getting pregnant.
CAUSE OF POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME
- Being overweight
- Faulty lifestyle
- Over Consumption of Junk food
- Lack of exercise or less activity
- Consumption of processed foods like maggi,chips
- High consumption of deep fried foods
- Sedentary lifestyle
Eating well and being active and losing weight can help manage complications of PCOD like diabetes and heart disease AND IT WOULD ALSO HELP TO NORMALIZE THE HORMONAL IMBALANCE IN FEMALES HELPING HER TO GET HER REGULAR MENSTRUAL CYCLE
Diet Tips for PCOD
- Have small frequent meals.
- Include high fiber cereal like whole wheat flour, jowar, ragi, bajra barley and parboiled rice for the meals.
- Consumption of breakfast is very important and shouldn’t be avoided.
- Ensure that there is no long gap in between the two meals.
- Incorporate legumes and vegetables in your diet as they’re high in fibre and nutrients and will manage your sugar levels.
- Combine protein and carbohydrates as protein helps to regulate the blood sugar spike caused by the carbs.
- Use skimmed milk for making curd and have ½ a katori daily.
- Preferably have fish like salmon, tuna.
- Use less than 5 teaspoon of oil for cooking everyday.
- have healthy fats. Avoid trans and saturated fats, found in dairy food and red meats, which can contribute to insulin resistance.
- Include lemon-tea or green tea during snack time.
- Have vegetables rich in iron like spinach, shepu, peas, carrot, onion, gourds, bitter gourd, pumpkin etc.
- Jamun and bitter gourd should be consumed which is good for pcos as it doesn’t raise the blood level quickly making you feel satisfied with your diet and less hungry.
- Have at least 2 whole fruits like apple, pear, guava and not the juice in between the meals.
- Consume amla, guava, citrus fruits, sprouts on a frequent basis.
- Have 1 teaspoon of flaxseed.
- Consume Garden cress seeds daily about a teaspoon. Its a very good source of Iron.
- 5g of methi seeds should be sprouted , powdered and added in lunch and dinner.
- Kokam extract which aids in weight loss should be consumed.
- Anti-inflammatory foods like garlic, turmeric, cucumber should be consumed.
- Indulge in exercise every day like walking to some distance when going to the workplace, taking stairs for climbing instead of the lift, stretching, bending, simple yoga daily.
- About 2-3 litres of water should be consumed per day.
- Sleep for at least 8 hours a day